by Perry Bulwer
Clayton C. Ruby, one of Canada's leading lawyers specializing in criminal, constitutional, administrative and civil rights law, warns of the coming police state in Canada in this two part interview. He explains how our civil rights, supposedly protected by the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, exist precariously at the whim of ideological political leaders, who can remove that protection at any time through unjust, unconstitutional laws and regulations, enforced by the police who have turned against the very people they are supposed to protect. Furthermore, citizens who have had their rights denied or limited in this way have no legal recourse to hold governments accountable for such Charter violations.
SENIOR LAWYER SAYS "BEWARE OF COMING POLICE STATE" Pt. 1
"BEWARE OF COMING POLICE STATE" PT.2 Clayton Ruby: No effective way to enforce charter of rights
Paul Jay: Was the prime minister the hidden hand behind the G-20 fiasco in Toronto?
Canadian Court Bans G-20 Defendant from Speaking
Organizer Alex Hundert coerced into 'unprecedented' gag clause (includes interview filmed prior to ban)
These videos were found at: The Real News Network http://therealnews.com/t2/
G20 officer: 'This ain't Canada right now'
G20 police officer: 'This ain't Canada right now'
A police oversight body is probing the comments of a police officer who was caught on YouTube telling a man who refused to be searched during the G20 summit, "This ain't Canada right now." The video shows a verbal confrontation between Paul Figueiras and York Regional Police officers working summit duty in downtown Toronto, about a block from the security perimeter.
One officer tells Figueiras that police need to search his backpack, but he refuses. "You haven't opened up your bag, so take off," the officer says to the man. When the man refers to being in Canada, the officer replies: "This ain't Canada right now."
Figueiras told CBC News on Friday, "It certainly meant in that moment that this officer was saying to me, 'As far as I am concerned, you don't have civil rights,'" He said at one point, the officer grabbed him and he had to back away. "I was actually responding to him, saying, 'OK, well, I'm not going to open my backpack so I'm going to leave and that's actually when he assaulted me and said you don't get a choice."
Figueiras lodged a complaint last month with Ontario's Office of the Independent Police Review Director. In a report last month, Ontario Ombudsman Andre Marin used the video as one example of how police brass spread confusion among officers on the street. He said a misinterpretation of special provincial legislation led to police wrongly believing they had expanded powers. University of Toronto law professor David Schneiderman said this false belief among police that they could search anyone they please led to widespread violations of civil liberties. "There were various indications that the police officers here from various police forces, Toronto, York Regional police are identified, were exhibiting behaviour that was directly contrary to the constitutional rights of the people involved," said Schneiderman.
A spokesperson for the police oversight body investigating the incident said they don't comment during ongoing probes. York Region police also refused to comment.
G8/G20 Communique: Alex Hundert re-re-re-arrested People need to tell their G20 story in a public hearing: CCLA and NUPGE Nathalie Des Rosiers, general counsel for the Canadian Civil Liberties Association, and James Clancy, the National Union of Public and General Employees's national president, spoke to rabble.ca about the release of a report by the CCLA and the NUPGE based on public hearings on the G20 mass arrests. The hearings were held in Toronto and Montreal last November. Activist Communique: The G20 and why I'm glad we didn't stay home G8/G20 Communique: Alex Hundert re-re-re-arrested "Each arrest is more preposterous than the last.
The fact that this latest unbelievable charge is coming from the Crown themselves reveals a clear political bias from the Attorney General's office to keep Alex in jail at all costs and to criminalize political dissenters" http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/statica/2010/10/g8g20-communiqu%C3%A9-alex-hundert-re-re-re-arrested G8/G20 Communique: The Law Union of Ontario's post-G20 action guide This guide is a resource to help you understand your rights and the kinds of actions you can take in response to a violation of your rights during the G20 Summit in Toronto in June 2010. During the G20 Summit in Toronto on June 26 and 27, 2010, police trampled on the legal rights and civil liberties of thousands of protestors, legal observers, media personnel, bystanders, and other members of the public.
The guide is free and online at: http://www.lawunion.ca/sites/lawunion/files/2010%2009%2030%20G20%20Guide%20LAYOUT%20FINAL%20WEB_0.pdf
CBC News - October 14, 2010
Dozens of G20 accused have charges dropped The Crown has dropped charges against more than 100 people who were arrested during the G20 summit in Toronto. Ninety of those defendants were Quebecers who travelled to Toronto to protest the summit, which ran June 26-27. A group of them had taken a bus from Montreal to Toronto that weekend and were sleeping on the floor at the University of Toronto graduate students' union building. They were rounded up by Toronto police early in the morning of June 27. They were charged with a number of offences, including unlawful assembly and conspiracy-related charges.
All of those people had their charges dropped Thursday because of a lack of evidence. Many of them did not appear in court in person, rather, they celebrated on the steps of the courthouse in downtown Montreal. Lisa Perrault, a Montreal social worker and a member of the group Anti-Capitalist Convergence, was among those arrested on June 27. She was held at a temporary detention centre for three days before being charged with unlawful assembly and conspiracy to commit an indictable offence. She said dropping more charges is an admission that they shouldn't have been arrested in the first place. "It's all to show to people that they are not welcome to say what they have to say because that's what is going to happen to them."
'Charges were frivolous'
Julius Grey, a Montreal lawyer who has been a fierce critic of the policing during the summit, agreed. "Well, it says what we knew from the start, those charges were frivolous, there was no evidence, that they knew of no conspiracy," he said. Some 1,100 people were arrested that weekend, but only 308 were eventually charged. Before Thursday, charges were dropped against 69 of those people. To date, only six people have been convicted. Most of those charged were held in a makeshift detention centre, then released on bail - just like Perrault. "My rights weren't respected," said Maryce Poisson, who was arrested along with Perrault. "I felt really stressed about that. And I still had visions about what happened in jail. I think it is something that's really traumatic."
Montreal man arrested
Meanwhile, Toronto police announced Thursday that they had arrested a Montreal man in connection to G20-related vandalism. Youri Couture, 22, faces six charges, including assaulting a police officer, wearing a disguise with intent to commit an indictable offence and possession of dangerous weapons. Police allege that during the G20 summit, Couture smashed the windows of a coffee shop, causing more than $18,000 in damages. Police also allege he assaulted a police officer with a weapon during the meeting of world leaders. This article was found at: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/story/2010/10/14/g20-charges-dropped685.html
Enemies of the State CBC News - Canada October 15, 2010
Former Manitoba AG on secret internment list A former provincial attorney general was among thousands of Communists and sympathizers from across Canada slated to be watched and even detained at internment camps under a Cold War-era plan, a joint CBC/Radio-Canada investigation found.
Roland Penner, who served in cabinet under Manitoba's NDP government throughout the 1980s, was monitored by the government program PROFUNC over the span of two decades starting in the 1950s. It's unclear whether they continued to monitor him after he was elected to office in 1981.
"I've reason to believe ... that it continued even when I was attorney general. Now, when it stopped, I don't know," Roland told The Fifth Estate. He has obtained the thick security file the RCMP compiled on him, but most of it is redacted. Though he knows his Communist ties prompted police surveillance, he had no idea about the government's secret internment plan.
The CBC's The Fifth Estate and Radio-Canada's Enquete investigative programs unearthed troubling details about the three-decades-long secret government contingency plan dubbed PROFUNC, which stands for PROminent FUNCtionaries of the Communist Party. At the plan's outset in 1950, about 16,000 suspected Communists and 50,000 sympathizers were listed as PROFUNC targets to be monitored and possibly interned in the advent of a national security threat. Penner's inclusion on the list is perhaps not surprising. He followed in the footsteps of his parents, becoming a leading communist in the province. He ran for federal election under a communist banner in the early 1950s but later joined the New Democrats. His father, Jacob Penner, had a hand in founding the Communist Party of Canada.
Both of Penner's parents were also on the PROFUNC list. Under the PROFUNC plan, sealed envelopes were placed in RCMP detachments across the country containing names and details about potential internees. Arrest document A separate arrest document, known formally as a C-215 form, was written up for each potential internee. Each form detailed the person's name, age, physical description, photos of the person, information on their vehicles and homes, including location of doors to be used in potential escapes. The lists of targets included their children. Over the decades, the documents in the envelopes were regularly reviewed and updated. In the advent of a national security crisis, RCMP detachments across the country would begin a massive roundup they referred to as M-Day, or Mobilization Day. Police commanders were secretly briefed on preparations for the day. Special uniformed teams were to be deployed in residential neighbourhoods, taking up tactical positions and rounding up the targets. Those arrested would then be transported to temporary "reception centres."
Early lists suggested reception centres be set up in locations across the country, including Toronto's historic Casa Loma, a country club in Port Arthur, Ont., and Grandstand Exhibition Grounds in Regina. Internees would later be transferred to more formal detention facilities such as penitentiaries. Men would be kept at camps across the country, women would be sent to one of two facilities in the Niagara Peninsula or Kelowna, B.C. Children would either be sent to relatives or interned with parents. An 11-page document outlines the harsh rules for internees at the camps. Internees could be held indefinitely and shot if caught trying to escape. Harsh punishment Internees also faced harsh punishment if they broke the strict rules of the camps, such as the following: "No internee shall converse with any person, other than an officer guard or staff member, unless he is permitted to do so under these regulations or is given special permission to do so by an officer."
The PROFUNC files were regularly updated until the program's demise in 1983, prompted by administrative changes introduced by Robert Kaplan, Canada's solicitor general at the time. The former Toronto Liberal MP said he knew nothing of the plan's existence during his time as minister in the early 1980s. Kaplan says he learned of the program - and his inadvertent role in shutting it down - from the CBC. He unwittingly ended the program when he ordered the RCMP to discontinue whatever was causing a number of superannuated Communists to encounter problems entering the United States. Irate constituents had alerted him to the problem. Kaplan said he was appalled to hear that the Canadian government had been involved in such a plan: "I just can't believe it had any government authorization behind it."
The PROFUNC plan changed over the years, but here's a glimpse of what it looked like in its early years. The following information is from a 1951 document detailing reception centres and internment camps to be set up across the country. Reception areas: Halifax: Canadian Immigration Detention Headquarters Montreal:Department of Labour Hostel Toronto: Casa Loma Winnipeg: Normal School Port Arthur, Ont.: Port Arthur Country Club Regina: Grandstand Exhibition Grounds Edmonton: Canadian Immigration Quarters Calgary: Northern Electric Building Vancouver: Canadian Immigration Building Internment camps: Kelowna, B.C.: A female-only facility housing 400 B.C. and Prairie internees. Chilliwack, B.C.: A male-only camp for 400 British Columbians. Lethbridge, Alta.: A facility accommodating 400 male internees from the three Prairie provinces. Neys, Ont.: A camp for 400 men from Ontario. North Bay, Ont.: A male-only facility for 400 Ontarians. Niagara Peninsula (St. Thomas or London area), Ont.: A facility for 400 women from Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes. St. Gabriel de Brandon, Que.: 400 men from Quebec and Maritimes. Parry Sound, Ont.: A co-ed camp, numbers not specified.
This article was found at:
RELATED ARTICLES ON THIS BLOG